THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, November 12, 2011

My sew throne

Well friends, earlier this week I finished my sewing chair. After some sanding, multiple coats of stain and polyurethane (just realized I have no idea how to spell that word), a new foam pad, some new fabric, and finally putting it back together, it is ready to faithfully serve as the sewing chair for many more years.
I really enjoyed this project. I haven't stained wood before and it was a delightfully easy process. I did use a slightly different product, called "polyshades." It claimed to be a stain and urethane mix.
And, when you see the finished product, you will see that I got what I paid for. The chair is both stained and polyurethane coated even though I didn't go through the usually two step process.
But, the polyshade is a very sticky, oily mess that quickly hardens into a varnished mess. In trying to clean my brush, I stained up my laundry room sink (and had to scrub it with straight rubbing alcohol to clean it up), stained my hands (and they stayed sticky for a few hours too), and still didn't salvage the brush! Not to mention the satin finish is a little glossier than I wanted. I picked up this product for the color... and it didn't turn out as dark as I wanted.
But... this post is to say: the project is done. I am very happy with my result. I will now be sewing in significantly more comfort than any of my former sewing "chairs" could provide (like when I first got my sewing table and used our cooler with pillow on top!).

And it does look fabulous.

Now that the chair is done, I have quite the list of sewing to accomplish for my weekend.
I'm making fleece pajama pants. And then just prepping a few projects to take on my "vacation" (a 3-4 day stay in a post-operation recovery room)

But of course, I'll let you know how they go.
Keep on keep on crafting,
Lia

0 comments: